Graduating in Biological Sciences from Turin University in July 1989, in 1995 Federica Cavallo earned her Ph. D. degree in Immunology. She was a post-doctoral fellow from 1995 to 2000, a tenured Research Fellow of the University of Turin from 2001 to 2006 and has been Associate Professor since 2006.
She is a member of numerous scientific associations among which are the European Society for Cancer Research, the American Association for Cancer Research, the European Society for Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy and the American Association of Immunologists.
She is author/co-author of several, highly quoted papers published in high impact journals.
Areas of Research
· Aspects of base research in Immunology and Tumour Immunology.
· Definition of pre-clinical models for the study of Tumour Immunology.
· Identification of immunological approaches for the prevention of breast and lung carcinogenesis and of melanomas.
· Identification of new tumour antigens involved in neoplastic progression towards which can be activated immune reaction (oncoantigens), expressed by tumour cells or by cells in the tumour micro-environment
· Pre-clinical definition and validation of cellular and DNA vaccines in order to induce an anti-tumour immune reaction
· Utilization of new adjuvants and immunomodulators of immune reaction, with particular reference to the possibility of rendering the dendritic cells more efficacious in antigen presentation to T-cells